Installation of new RCD Circuit Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new kithcen installed and have been advised that my existing circuit board of 20 yrs old needs to be replaced with a new RCD board as a result of installig a range cooker?
Could anyone please let me know whether once the new board has been installed that I should be given a certificate to show what work has been done etc ? By the way the quote for the board and installation is £670 is this reasonable ?

Sponsored Links
yes the installer must give you a certificate with test results for each circuit

as for price this varies according to area, quality of materials and wether the installer likes you :LOL:

You should have two sets of paperwork. The Installation Certificate gives you all the reading taken etc. The Completion Certificate shows the work has been registered under Part P this has to be issued within 30 days of the work being completed.

Is the new CU being fitted by the kitchen installation firm?

If the work needs doing then there is no harm in getting three quotes from independent electricians too. Can any friends or family suggest a good spark that they've recently used?

As stated price depends on alot of variables. The installer must give you an Electrical Installation Certificate and the work must be notified by him/her to the LABC.

Check that any electrician that is going to do the work is registered here.

Sponsored Links
Beware of any electrician who does not say that he'll do a full test of all the existing wiring before installing and/or doesn't say on what basis he'll be charging you for any faults uncovered by testing, or discovered the hard way by circuits not working after the change...

Price is very hard to guesstimate here because there are so many variables, and if you get a few quotes then you should see a consensus emerging, but £670 isn't worryingly cheap, nor into complete rip-off territory, assuming they plan to do a good job. If the price is from the kitchen firm, and they sub the electrics, I wonder how much of that £670 remains in their pockets though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back