Installing a dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I am a DIY novice and want to change a normal on/off switch in my hallway to a dimmer. I did one a while ago under instruction and intended to basically look at the previous one and copy like for like with the wires.
However on inspection it seems there are twice the amount of wires, as far as I am aware this switch has always only ever operated one light??
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is this light on a 2 way (or more) set-up ? If so there can be several wires connected to the same switch. I assume it's a single plate switch.
You will need a 2 way dimmer if the above is the case. Also terminations on dimmers are not always the best so you will need to ensure that all connections are sound and correct or your switching will not function properly.
Take a look in the Wiki for circuit info.

Remember to isolate safely before starting work.

Hi thanks for your response.
I apologise for being a bit slow to follow everything you said, I will try and describe the situation I have and hopefully it will be a but clearer.
In my hallway I have a single light switch that operates the hallway light. At the other end of the hallway I have a double switch that operates the hallway light and the landing light upstairs. I have bought a double dimmer for the hallway/landing lights and a single dimmer for the single hallway light.

Is this hallway light the same one ?

You cannot have two standard dimmers on a 2 way circuit.

If you want the one hallway light and the landing light dimmed just use the 2 gang 2way dimmer (I hope you've bought a 2 gang 2way)

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes its the same light so thank you for letting me know I can't have two dimmers.
I just checked the box and it is 2gang2way hooray!
Thank you for your help, so far.

Before you remove any wires.

Make a detailed note of what goes where, and take a photo.

Every day there are folk on here that have removed a switch and can't remember where the wires go.

:rolleyes:

Which of course wouldn't be a problem if people had the right tools and the sense not to dive in and fiddle with things they didn't understand....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back