master or a slave switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my hallway I have 5 spotlights controlled by dimmer switch on the one side and a normal on/off switch on the other side of the hallway. I can use the dimmer switch only when the normal switch is on. Basically, there is no electricity through the 5 spotlights and the dimmer circuit when the normal switch if off.

I need to by a new dimmer switch, is this a master or a slave dimmer switch?

Sponsored Links
Do you need to buy one because it's broken, or you want to buy a new one for aesthetic reasons?

The reason the switching doesn't work properly could well be because it's wired incorrectly, not because you need a new dimmer.

You only need a master if you have a slave dimmer at the other location, if it's just a switch then a normal 2-way dimmer will do. Although you might not like how that setup works.

I had some problems with the old dimmer switch (it is the basic Varilight V-DIM touch dimmer model). It was unstable and the lights would go on off when switching the lights in the nearby rooms and was not easy to control. I have now replaced the halogen MR16 bulbs with similar good quality Philips Master LED bulbs but still have the same problems. In anyway, Varilight recommends another more advanced model (i.e. the V-PRO eclique) model which is suitable also for LED lights.

PS: I bought the flat like this...

Sponsored Links
To be honest, it was there when I bought the flat so I liked the idea and thought to replace with a better one, but if I can escape the problems I would consider a common dimmer or even a basic switch without a dimmer.

They are never going to be as reliable as a traditional one, and they are more expensive, so if you don't need it, buy a normal dimmer. Or just a switch if you're not bothered about dimming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back