Installing a fireplace...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice on my fireplaces?

I have two fireplaces in my house which I want to change - they are rather nasty, chunky tiled jobs in less-than-fashionable colours. What I'd really like to do for the first one is rip out the old one and plonk a new surround complete with electric fire over the top. For the second, I thought I would just rip out the fireplace and leave a small cubby in the wall and put candles or something arty in it.

My problem is this - my chimneys (as fas as I can tell) are open. I've been reading DIY books/websites and can't find anything which tells me how to cope with putting a whole new fireplace suite in front of a large hole. I imagine I need to board the hole, but then all the books say you MUST add in a ventialtion brick above the skirting. But how can you do this when you're putting a massive new fireplace surround in front of this area?

Am a bit mystified to be honest, but want to do this properly, so all advice much appreciated!

Thanks,

Charlie

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back