Fireplace Madness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there

i have an old victorian house two up two down shape and i have the most hideous brick fireplace around.
i was looking on ebay and found a really nice one but it will not fit as the back of the fire stocks out father than the wall???
also the hearth cannot be to high as the back concrete thing is low

will a fireplace expert be able to make me a fireplace surround thats nice and not going to cost through the roof.

Where can i find one

i do not really want to rip the fireplace to bits as it means building work.

any ideas ??

Sponsored Links
You need to make friends with a good chimney sweep. He will tell you whether your flue is suitable for what you want to do, what sort of fireplace will fit and he will fit it properly for you in a way that allows future maintenance. He might even bring you a bit of luck!

luck lol

i have a man comming out on friday to do me a quote and look at some fire surrounds, i might quiz him for a fireplace surround that can be just ok as im not planning on spending a fortune as they cost so much i could not believe it lol.

Sponsored Links
no i think im going to go for a modern stone looking fireplace that would be my ideal solution as im painting the room in a nice modern look with the chimney breast a differetn colour so it will look modern.
fireplace i love them but its being a pain in the bum

Do you need to spend money on a fireplace? What kind of fire do you want? Gas? Electric? Open coal/wood? Gas or multifuel stove? If you're going modern, why not consider a simple square aperture with a nice plain stone or slate or wood mantle? My recomendation would be a small multifuel stove; it makes a room lovely and warm and homely, doesn't smoke, doesn't make the room dirty and is completely controllable. But a real fire or stove needs a good flue.

i have a real fireplace in my house its a horrid varnished brick fireplace that i burn wood and coal in.
it has a fire back that it to low and to far forward to be able to just put a new surround on so i may need to remove the fireback i am thinking and have a basket but i don't know.
some fireplaces incorporate the fire back ie there are a whole unit including the back so i can just burn things in a basket.
its a shame as i would loved to have just taken of the bricks and plonked a new surround on the wall
if i remove the fire back i take it i am going to have to make the inside of the fire look nice also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back