Installing a large limestone monolith, any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to take delivery of a large piece of limestone, it has been cut to provide a completely flat base. It's going to be within falling distance of a window so I need to make sure it's a stable as possible. Have a look at the photos, the stones dimensions are; Height - 3ft 4” , Width - 2ft, Depth - 12”.

20170310_102058 (2).jpg Slate 1.jpg 20170310_124146.jpg 20170321_085927_HDR.jpg

I have laid 2 level paving slabs under the weed membrane. Should I just sit it on those, or should I have another bed of mortar?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No matter how firm the base is my concern would be the risk of it toppling over either by accidental push or wind eddies round that corner. The 40 inch height and 12 inch foot print means it doesn't have to lean far before the centre of gravity is outside the footprint at which point toppling is inevitable

A solid base and some form of anchoring. A 2 foot long one inch diameter steel pin fitted into a hole drilled one foot up into the slab and one foot down into the base would ( should ) cater for all but the strongest push.

Thanks Bernard. Do you really think this stone could be blown over!?
The stone is bottom heavy as it starts wide and comes to a point at the top, I would be amazed if even the strongest wind was able to move it even the smallest amount, let alone bring it to the tipping point.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Another alternative it to chock it against the wall with a piece of timber during the winter. But that would rely upon having no wind during the summer, and you remembering chock it in the winter.

When its delivered stand it upright and try and push it over. If its rock solid then you should be ok. For peace of mind then the method suggested by bernard would be best.

Items like this are nearly always dowelled into a concrete footing. Its dangerous not to. Never mind the wind its more a child climbing on it is the main danger. A length of rebar or stainless rod embeded into a concrete base and then the corresponding hole in the stone filled with a cement slurry just before placing it. The problem is you need to lift it into place.

If you really don't want to go down this route then bond it to the flags as strongly as possible. Tile cement usually gives the best grip, prime both surfaces with sbr.

Although it's bottom heavy, at 12" wide, a wind wouldn't topple it, but the ground could tilt under it. I would put a bed of mortar under the 2 paving slab (possibly wider than the two slabs at their narowest point), and then a quick dab of cement under the stone when you put it in place.

The slabs are fully bedded on mortar, with extra mortar around them.
I've had the stone delivered and placed it on tile adhesive so it should be bonded well to the slabs.
If it falls over I'll eat my hat.

Um, would that be waterproof tile adhesive by any chance; if not, get the condiments ready.

_63161667_63161662.jpg

I don't know how this one on Hayling was done. It's on a sand and shingle beach, on a mound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back