advice on sub base for paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm currently giving my garden a complete makeover and would really appreciate some advice.

I'm going to have a small paved area 5'x6' and a pathway leading to it that is 5'x 2' plus about 5 1'x1' stepping stones. I am using a mix of 1'x1' slabs and very large 2'x2' slabs both about an inch thick.

I have been told to use about 3" of MOT type 1 with sand and cement on top to bed the stone onto.

My question is this, I have about 1/3 tonne of left over York dry walling stone (I think it's limestone but not sure)- could I smash this up and use it instead of MOT TYPE 1?

Sponsored Links
you could probably sell that stone for much more than the cost of MOT.

Seems a shame but yes you could if you can smash it up to 50mm chunks or less

Don't destroy the york stone. Use proper Mot1 as it has a variety of particle sizes from gravel down to dust, which is required to help it compact properly. Smashing up stones to achieve the same distribution of particle sizes would be hard work by hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back