base for patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have a patio area that is covered with slate chippings on top of rough MOT type one stone, which didnt seem to have a good quantity of fine compactable material in it

We are now thinking of removing the chippings and having paving slabs laid

I am wondering how thick the sub base needs to be?, if the MOT type hardcore isnt that well compacted and is fairly lumpy (to put it midly) would i need to start again

Also are paving slabs best laid on motar or a sand base?

Sponsored Links
For a patio a sub-base of 100mm is adequate. The MOT sound like it might not be MOT but maybe larger crusher run or similar. You can always top it up with better quality MOT type 1.

Laying method will depend on what type of paving you want to lay? Block paving or slabs and natural stone or concrete, also what size slab?

Hi

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my slow one!

Would it be wise to get something like a 10mm to dust recycled product to put down as top layer on top of the thicker stone?

it would be slabs and it would be concrete ones (i think),

As regards to sizes would be looking to do it based on different sizes.

Sponsored Links
Recycled stuff can be a lottery and have all sorts of crap in it and often not enough fines.

Best just getting proper MOT type 1 available in all merchants and quarries.
its not exactly expensive so using recycled garbage will not save you much money probably.

You need to decide on the paving type to comment on how to lay them. Weaker Wet-cast type concrete flags like bradstone need to be layed on a full wet bed of mortar. 5:1 grit sand to cement.

Pressed concrete flags are stronger and more regular in thickness so can be layed on a screeded base. For more in depth info check out paving expert.com

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back