Edging needed for this patio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you can see in pic below, I am ready to put in my MOT type 1 sub base for my patio.

IMG_2916.jpeg

My patio is going to be 22mm Indian stone paving

I was hoping to just lay the paving without an edging, leaving 10cm either side to fill (slightly lower than top of paving stone) with a bit of gravel between the fencing and paving

Would this be suitable?

Or do I need to install an edging to but the paving up to?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes you ought to to ensure the pavers can't move about, sure they should be fully beded anyway but nevertheless an edging will ensure they can't move.

Sponsored Links
The sandstone does not easily adhere to the mortar, they sometimes dislodge later, especially if you use a really wet or a really dry mix.
For bonus points if you dot and dab them they can often be lifted by hand, no tools required...

The sandstone does not easily adhere to the mortar, they sometimes dislodge later, especially if you use a really wet or a really dry mix.
For bonus points if you dot and dab them they can often be lifted by hand, no tools required...
I plan on using a primer for the back of the sandstone before applying to a FULL mortar bed

I will go ahead with edging also

No need for an edging, just lay them on a mortar bed. As you say, priming the back of the slabs with an SBR/mortar slurry will ensure good adhesion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back