Patio project... advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’m about to embark on a fairly large remodel of my back garden. Two areas of patio around 60 m2 in total with a clay paver path linking the two.

I’m using Baksteen pavers for the path and also as an edging around the patio. I’m going to lay two courses of them in a brick bond. I was planning to lay them on a sharp sand / cement semi dry mix with concrete haunching on the outside.

My question is around the pointing up of the patio. The paving slabs will be done in sand and and cement. But what about the edging courses? Should I treat it as block paving and lay with say 3mm gaps and fill with kiln dried sand? Or lay wider and point up with s+c?

I was also thinking of trying a polymeric slurry like Rompox D1 on the Patio but I think it would be hard to keep it off the edging.

how would my esteemed fellow DIYnot’ers approach this one?

I’m hoping to keep this a live project thread and post pics as I go...

RD

Sponsored Links
Use a jointing compound. https://www.geo-fix.com/

I'd personally lay the baksteen as bricks on a mortar bed on the patio borders, and joint with the Geo.
Press it in hard and use a brick iron to finish.
Good colours so you can enhance the job with a contrasting joint.
You can of course do it with mortar to save a lot of money but you need to get the mix just right or you can make a mess.
Brick mortar acid will clean it if you do but it's a faff..

Path can be laid as per block paving, joint sand and light compaction.
Those pavers are a bit of a fiddle to lay but look nice when laid well.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back