Block paved patio, too much sand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, decided to make my own patio during lockdown. It will be with ordinary 200x100 block paving. I’ve concreted in the channel drain and the soldier/edging blocks.

Today I put the sharp sand down and got it roughly at the right level. I’m worried there’s too much sand though, in places it will be 50mm but in others it may be 100mm. I know it should be compacted sub base, then the bedding layer.

This is where I am at:

60530997-A191-4465-8B02-C172E500D27E.jpeg

So, to remedy, I’m tempted to run the wacker plate over the sand, leaving it 20-30mm low, then put a fresh bedding layer of sand down and lay the pavers on that, and run the wacker over the pavers.

also thought about adding some 20mm gravel to the existing sand before compacting - would this be required or do any good?

There won’t be any vehicle traffic on it, if that makes any difference.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is this the fall,though? I wouldn’t be adding gravel. Have you visited paving expert.

Is this the fall,though? I wouldn’t be adding gravel. Have you visited paving expert.

sorry, unsure what you mean? The sand is just in roughly at the moment. Ordinarily there would be a compacted hardcore layer underneath, but this just has soil, some hardcore then more sand than is ideal.

So planning to company this layer of sand, then add some loose sand as a bedding layer and lay blocks onto that, then compact

When Chris mentions the 'fall' I think he referring to a slight slope towards the drain gulley to allow water to flow away instead of pooling.

Sponsored Links
Ah yes, I would’ve preferred it sloping away from the house, but the garden’s natural fall is towards the house, and I didn’t want a step up to lawn. So had to go for the channel drain option

Nothing wrong with draining towards the house so long as it can be carried away by the gulley before the gully fills in really heavy rain.

You compact the sand, then screed off the excess.
You need to screed it firm so it only compacts about 3-5 mm
Your fine with that, compact again when laid cut in and sanded "joint sand"

Set your screed about 5-7mm above the drain and pre set paving.
You then compact new paving to level.
This bit is the skill part, so don't hammer the hell out of the edges just overlap and maybe 2 passes with the plate.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
So you don’t think the sand being too deep will affect it, as long as it’s properly compacted?

So you don’t think the sand being too deep will affect it, as long as it’s properly compacted?

As long as it's all well compacted and the base is sound you'll be ok.
But it must be screeded off with the sand tight. So if you follow that advice it will be a good solid job.

I've done roads in block paving with 15mm to 120mm + depth sand but if it's solid it's fine.
I used to work on about 25-40mm for domestic work but I was preparing the base so had time to make it how I wanted.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back