Installing a large roller garage door

Kes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have the component parts of a roller double garage door in front of me (well, the large bits are actually in the garage at the mo), and some rather enigmatic instructions. It's a 16' x 7' Cardale Thermaglide which is a powered roller door. The main parts are side guides, axle brackets, the roller axle, and the rolled up slatted door (the curtain). As far as I can make out the procedure is first to fasten the side guides and axle brackets in place. Instead of the door curtain being pre-mounted on the axle and just(!) lifted into place onto the side brackets, the separate axle is fixed to the brackets, and then two people lift the curtain on to their shoulders, climb step-ladders and feed one end over the axle and into the guides.

As you can guess, the curtain roll is very large, heavy and unwieldy, and the idea of balancing it on one shoulder, rotating it to unroll the slats over one's head, somehow feeding the slats into the guides, whilst wobbling on step-ladders in an operation that can't be stopped half way if there's a problem, fills me with trepidation.

Apart from getting half a dozen strong men or women with their own stepladders to hold the curtain in the air whilst I do the feeding bit, does anyone have any advice how to do this a little easier and safer? I'm sure if the curtain was mounted on the axle then the whole lot could be winched up in the air and the axle bolted into position, making the curtain feeding less dangerous to door or men. Alternatively is it feasable to slide a pole into the curtain roll, winch that up, and then feed the curtain into the guides?

Assuming that the curtain feeding starts, with whatever method, does the sheer weight of it when it's half-way down the guides start to pull the rest in at greater and greater runaway speed?

Any comments from those who have gone before would be welcome.

Rgds.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back