Installing a main electrical box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a main electrical box in my new house (Tennessee, USA). Can anyone tell me why are there no 220 Volts between the two positive poles? I get a normal reading between each one of these poles and the neutral. Thank you :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
10 views no answers. question is a bit confusing, :confused: if you have a normal single phase installation and as i suspect you are testing across two fuses there will be no potential difference therfore no reading.

ltfc - do you understand how the normal split-phase (not single-phase) domestic supply in the USA functions?

If not, should you be giving advice?

I'm sorry about the confusion. Basically, I connected the two 120V. to get 240 (I was trying to connect the range), since in large appliances, such as cooking equipment, space heating, water pumps, clothes dryers, and air conditioners these two are connected across the two live conductors to operate at 240 V, requiring less current and smaller conductors than they would need at 120 V.

Sponsored Links
I know nothing about the US system either, but I think I've now learnt something.

Anyway, seems to me that if you get 120v rms from each live to neutral, and no difference when you measure between them, sure suggests both live are in phase with each other, to me. Can you get hold of anything capable of displaying phase for you ? An oscilloscope perhaps ?

Of course you may do better at a primary US site.

ban-all-sheds said:
ltfc - do you understand how the normal split-phase (not single-phase) domestic supply in the USA functions?

If not, should you be giving advice?

No i dont realy hence i said bit confusing. Did not know it was split phase or that that is normal in the USA.

split phase is normal in the USA but it sounds like he has a single ended single phase supply and both lives on his DB connected together.

assuming this is the case he has two options for getting 240V

1: a step-up transformer
2: speaking to his supplier about getting upgraded to a split phase service.

Are you using the correct range on your multimeter, not doing something daft and using the 20-200vac scale, and mistaking an out of range message for zero volts are you?

I'm sorry guys...and thank you for your help. I finally figured out what was wrong: One of the connections was not making proper contact. There is, indeed, 240V. between the two hot poles. As a fact, that is how most of the major appliances work here. I found that the water heater does not have a neutral, just the two hot wires.

ban-all-sheds said:
Yup - no reason for any 240V appliance to have a neutral.

Except in countires where the usual supply voltage is a nominal 230V ac single phase BAS...

Sponsored Links
Back