Installing a new bathroom light fitting

IB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Well it is the weekend ............ and I am trying to install a new bathroom light fitting to an existing set up comprising a batroom fan with no fan isolator, light switch and light fitting. Have obviously gone v wrong as lighting circuit continuously trips .........

I have attempted to connect the switch cable, circuit cable and fan cable to a junction box in the ceiling void and then run linking cable to the supplied light fitting connector block which the instructions advise needs to be insulated with tape but will also have to sit in the ceiling void. My previous light installation had the various cables connecting to a series of connector blocks inside the light fitting but the new light fitting has no housing for cables internally.

I'm fairly certain my error is with treatment of switch live (red) and live (yellow) cables from fan unit into the junction box.

Can someone provide me with prescriptive details of what the wiring connections are to be in my junction and also advise whether a BESA box option is necessary notwithstanding supplier instructions to the contrary.

Thanks

IB

Sponsored Links
IF IN ANY DOUBT ABOUT ANY ELECTRICAL WORK/ ESPECIALLY THAT FEEDING A BATHROOM OR SHOWER, YOU MUST GET A PROFESSIONAL ELECTRICIAN TO SORT IT OUT FOR YOU - BS7671:2001 QUITE RIGHTLY EMPHASISES THE VERY HIGH SHOCK ELECTROCUTION RISKS PRESENT IN A BATHROOM OR SHOWER ROOM.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back