Rose to light fitting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine had a ceiling rose on his ceiling. He purchased a light fitting that needed to be connected to a connector block. Now rather than convert the rose to a junction box and drop a single TC & E to the block to attach the light fitting to. He removed the live and neutral cable (I presume that what they were) from the rose and connected his light fitting in its place.

Can this be done? As according to my referance (cough DIY books) you need to do the conversion in the junction box. As the cable layout for a light fitting is not the same for a ceiling rose.

Hopefully I am making sense!

I'm going to look at this again, as I must be missing something.

Bazdaa

Sponsored Links
A ceiling rose is a junction box in its own right.

If the new light fitting can be fixed with the rose left in place then this is the best way of doing the job because it involves no disturbance to the fixed wiring.

dingbat said:
A ceiling rose is a junction box in its own right.

If the new light fitting can be fixed with the rose left in place then this is the best way of doing the job because it involves no disturbance to the fixed wiring.

I know, I know, and agree with you. But what he done does not add up to what the books say! (OK enough with the eyeballs).

I'm gonna look over this again, so I can point out my confusion.

Bazdaa

Seriously, if he's simply taken a switched live and a neutral (and an earth) from the correct terminals of the rose, then mounted the new light so that the rose is concealed, he's done it exactly right. Most electricans pray for lights with a big enough base to cover existing ceiling roses.

If you're saying that the rose is not enclosed...?

Sponsored Links
Right got it. I think this a case of not enough info, and a bit of confusion about the switch cable.

I'm so confused now, that I dont know what the problem was. It seems crystal clear now. I relised that the switch cable was there, but didnt appreciate it!

Bazdaa

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back