Wago Fittings to Replace Ceiling Rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,
I am trying to help someone to fit anew light fitting with an integral ceiling rose that is 100mm external diameter by 20 mm external depth.
As the existing rose has a lot of connections, there is no way the new rose will fit over the old one and I don’t think fitting a junction box in the ceiling space is practical. As the new rose will be removable, i.e. not “maintenance free”, I understand that it would be okay to remove the old rose and make connections within the new rose. All wires are solid except those for the new light fitting although they could be soldered to make them “solid”. I would be very grateful for any advice as to which Wago connectors would be suitable for this purpose.
Current ceiling rose wiring shown below.
bd40b6a2-d06f-4e8c-bf65-ffa1a8378fd6.jpeg

Sponsored Links
if you have enough lenght in the cables, you could enlarge the hole just enough to push in a wago box with all connections neatly done in there.
Then you'll only have 1 cable in the rose.
Mark all wires before disconnecting them.

I generally eclusivly use the 221 lever wagos https://www.toolstation.com/wago-221-3-way-compact-lever-connectors/p46660

Available in 2, 3 and 5 conductor sizes, it looks like most of your connections will require the 5s. Don't be tempted to put more than one conductor per space, they are not meant for that, also do not tin stranded conductors, its probably less bad in a wago than a screwed terminal but still not desireable, the stranded conductors can enter the lever wagos directly. If you do need just a solid strand for some reason (e.g. PCB mount terminal blocks) then a bootlace ferrule is the correct way to do it

Sponsored Links
Access from above and use a hager box for the loop in/out, if not practical, enlarge with hole saw from below and stuff in void, you might have a joit in the way though.

Access from above and use a hager box for the loop in/out, if not practical, enlarge with hole saw from below and stuff in void, you might have a joit in the way though.
I wouldn't use anything sharp to enlarge the hole at risk of scratching a cable.
In these situations i usually use pump pliers and take off a few bits of plasterboard at the time until i get the size and shape i need.

I wouldn't use anything sharp to enlarge the hole at risk of scratching a cable.
In these situations i usually use pump pliers and take off a few bits of plasterboard at the time until i get the size and shape i need.
An inspection camera through the existing void helps.

Thank you all very much for your knowledgeable and helpful replies. I don’t think we’ll be able to make a sufficiently large hole for a BS5733 junction box to fit because of impingement of the ceiling joist into which the existing rose (to be replaced by the mounting bracket for the new rose) is screwed. Also I don’t think we have sufficient length in the cables to get a junction box fitted. And no access is possible from above. So I’ll go for Wago 221s with a single conductor per space and ”Virgin” (unsoldered) stranded conductors.
Again, many thanks to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back