New light fitting

PG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a new light fitting but it cannot be fixed flush against the ceiling as the ceiling rose causes an obstruction.

The new fitting was supplied with connecting blocks with very limited wiring instructions.

QUESTION: Can connecting blocks be used instead of a ceiling rose?

Sponsored Links
Yes remove the old ceiling rose after making a note or taking a piccy with digital camera of the wiring connections, then use chocblocks supplied with fitting to reconnect the wiring.

Thanks Comms!

I now know that I started of on the right foot. What I didn't say is that I had removed the rose & connected the wiring to the connecting blocks.

You know what's coming next don't you!

That's right! I didn't make a note of how the wires were connected & ended up wiring up the connecting blocks by just teaming up black to blue, red to brown & earth to earth.

Anyone who knows anything about electrics is probably rolling around laughing now.

I have now found diagrams on the Net of how it should be done & will attempt to rectify my cowboy job.

If you have any further advice that would be much appreciated. There are 2 cables - I presume one from the previous light & one from the switch.

Thanks again!

You need to find out which cable goes to the switch (use a multimeter & test for continuity between switch & cable ends at light fitting) call it cable 1 the red connects to the red of other cable (cable 2), the black of cable 1 connects to the brown wire on light fitting & should be marked with red sleeving or tape, the black from cable 2 connects to the blue wire of light fitting & as you have said all the earths connect together including the fittings earth, all covered in yellow/green sleeving.
Dont forget to isolate the circuit first !!!

Sponsored Links
Cheers Comms!

I followed your excellent advice & I'm all sorted now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back