installing a new light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i need to install 4 new light fittings ,all the same which go flush to the ceilings.The problem is i have ceilling roses in the way.The previous fittings were plastic while the new fittings are metal so would need to be earthed.I don't especially want to replace the ceiling roses so is it safe to push them further into the ceiling and then have a live,neutral and earth connections from the rose on to the new fitting which then can be fixed to the ceiling?john

Sponsored Links
Yes. But chances are you will be unlikely to recess your new fittings exactly where the roses are, as they are usually fixed to a joist.

Hi i need to install 4 new light fittings
Why the need?
The problem is i have ceilling roses in the way.The previous fittings were plastic while the new fittings are metal so would need to be earthed.
They may not require to be earthed as they could be class II/Double insulated fittings, but saying that I would still run a CPC/earth between each lighting point, even if not connected to the fitting.
I don't especially want to replace the ceiling roses so is it safe to push them further into the ceiling and then have a live,neutral and earth connections from the rose on to the new fitting which then can be fixed to the ceiling?
It cannot be simply pushed up into the ceiling, as it will be very likely then be inaccessible and would require to jointed in a maintenance free method.
You will need to plan your lighting, as it could be that joists, noggins and other services within the ceiling void would cause obstruction from placing them where you want, also inspected the gap within the ceiling and floor void, as you will require enough space for the fitting and the manufacturers specified space between fitting and the floor above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back