Installing A New Cold Water Storage Tank Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We Have 2 lofts in our house, 1 is upstairs above the upstairs bathroom and the other is above our downstairs bathroom. In the downstairs bathroom I am installing a new mira pumped digital shower and would like to install a coffin-type water storage tank (already purchased) My question is would I need to do anything to support/strengthen the joists to support a 50 gallon tank? 3 joists will be underneath the tank and it will also be boarded before installation. Any advice/pointers would be very much appreciated!

Many Thanks
20180522_083656.jpg
20180522_083725.jpg
20180522_083731.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an older property with 6 x 2" joists in the loft which, with a little reinforcement, support a 20 gallon tank in the eaves.

Your house looks relatively modern, and I doubt the joists are designed or capable of taking anything like the load you propose. Only structural calculation could confirm this - or perhaps the eye of an experienced builder.

One option might be to install a new joist or joists between, and deeper than, the existing ones in each case resting on supporting walls.

Again this would require a SE or builders input.

Cheers,

Blup

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many Thanks for your reply Blup! even though I was hoping for a "no problem" kind of response! :p

What is an SE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No worries.

SE = structural engineer, I had written that in an early draft but must have edited it out.

Blup

Sponsored Links