Installing A New Cold Water Storage Tank Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We Have 2 lofts in our house, 1 is upstairs above the upstairs bathroom and the other is above our downstairs bathroom. In the downstairs bathroom I am installing a new mira pumped digital shower and would like to install a coffin-type water storage tank (already purchased) My question is would I need to do anything to support/strengthen the joists to support a 50 gallon tank? 3 joists will be underneath the tank and it will also be boarded before installation. Any advice/pointers would be very much appreciated!

Many Thanks
20180522_083656.jpg
20180522_083725.jpg
20180522_083731.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have an older property with 6 x 2" joists in the loft which, with a little reinforcement, support a 20 gallon tank in the eaves.

Your house looks relatively modern, and I doubt the joists are designed or capable of taking anything like the load you propose. Only structural calculation could confirm this - or perhaps the eye of an experienced builder.

One option might be to install a new joist or joists between, and deeper than, the existing ones in each case resting on supporting walls.

Again this would require a SE or builders input.

Cheers,

Blup

Many Thanks for your reply Blup! even though I was hoping for a "no problem" kind of response! :p

What is an SE?

Sponsored Links
No worries.

SE = structural engineer, I had written that in an early draft but must have edited it out.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back