installing a new consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to replace my consumer unit as there are not enough circuits in my existing one, can i change this unit myself if so how do i make the incoming mains supply safe while i do it.

Is it possible to add an additional unit alongside the existing one without having to get involved with the mains supply

Sponsored Links
Both your options will require safe isolation of the incoming supply.

you can do it yourself but it involves notifying the BCO under part P of the bulilding regulations..

and to be honest if you have to ask how to isolate the supply to do it safely then I doubt you are competent enough to do it and test the installation afterwards..

you're supposed to contact the DNO and get them to come out and pull the main fuse, then call them again for them to come and re-connect the main fuse ( which they will probably not do without first seeing an electrical installation certificate )

the general DIY way of doing it was to cut the seals and pull the fuse yourself then claim ignorance the next time they actually come to read your meter..

I hasten to add that this is part of what Part P was designed to stop..

ColJack said:
the general DIY way of doing it was to cut the seals and pull the fuse yourself then claim ignorance the next time they actually come to read your meter..

Which has the risk with an old installation that the fuse falls apart as you pull it out wich means you are un-able to put it back in. Or possibly the fuse holder falls apart in which case you may get a massive big bang and turn out the power to several houses around you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back