New Kitchen and IEE Regs

Yes, I realise it was a bit of tongue in cheek, if you look at my last post, I have discovered there is an earth bond and the revised quote of £418 involves no cable runs just fit a new RCD & housing for two circuits, Hob & cooker which are currently connected to a Square D Quickline CB which only has a 100amp main switch, all ring mains are on a separate CU which has a RCCB.

I am having a new consumer unit installed and got two quotes, one for £400 and one for £150 which does seem very cheap. I am going with the lower quote partly as it's the cheapest, but also he has done work for friends (an almost complete rewire) which they were very impressed with.

There is no earth bonding required as this was done when a new electric shower was installed and this has its own separate modern consumer unit, so this may explain why the quote is low.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I realise it was a bit of tongue in cheek, if you look at my last post, I have discovered there is an earth bond and the revised quote of £418 involves no cable runs just fit a new RCD & housing for two circuits, Hob & cooker which are currently connected to a Square D Quickline CB which only has a 100amp main switch, all ring mains are on a separate CU which has a RCCB.

I am having a new consumer unit installed and got two quotes, one for £400 and one for £150 which does seem very cheap. I am going with the lower quote partly as it's the cheapest, but also he has done work for friends (an almost complete rewire) which they were very impressed with.

There is no earth bonding required as this was done when a new electric shower was installed and this has its own separate modern consumer unit, so this may explain why the quote is low.

How can people do this so cheap?! Get a third quote!

£150 doesn't cover the cost of materials.

Sponsored Links
£150 for a consumer unit change? Labour only?

No, it is parts and labour and he said it should take him about 2 1/2 hours. the unit will be a 10 way split box, although I dont know what make. Have to say I was surprised but the fact his work has been recommended by friends does reassure me.

Well, you'd better hope that there are no problems lurking, or you'll end up either forking out a further indeterminate sum, or living in a house with no electricity.

is he a member of a self certification scheme. i know i could get a cheap c/u with breakers for about £50 but i cannot see how the job can be installed, inspected, tested and paperwork completed in 2.5 hours.

Since part P and the inrush of 5 day wonder-boys 'sparks' i find it very hard to get work, whereas i used to get 99% of jobs that i quoted for i hardly get any in comparison.

these prices are devaluing the trade, ten years ago the local authority price for a consumer unit was £180 around here, supplied and fitted, bearing in mind i could get an MK 12 way split load board for about £40.

I would guess - No, not a member of a scheme and probably doesn't even own adequate test equipment.

To the OP, what circuits will be going on the unprotected (ie non RCD) side of the 'split board'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back