Installing a new Fire Surround Hearth and Back Panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys and Gals

My first post here and im hoping you can help me out.

Im a competant person as im a Spark by trade and have renovated houses, but im doing my own at the moment and not done this task before so would like some sound advise.

Basically weve ripped out the old gas fire and surround and we are now to put in a new marble and hearth prior to getting the gas fire installed by a gas Safe Engineer, i have a few questions i would like to clarify.

I have installed the Taurus skirtings already as weve had a nightmare with the surround being on back order, so i had to install and paint the skirtings to carry on decorating while we waited for the surround (which took 9 months to come), Ive let them run through past where the surround will go as i wasnt syure of the size of the surround, so all i needed to do was cut them to the right gap.

But now after reading up on hearth and back panel installs, im not sure what to do with the hearth and skirting, do I cut the Skirtings to the width of the Oak Surround (Which is around 2 inches shorter either side that the hearth) and then butt the Hearth up the the remaining skirting board, and infill 18mm gap (Depth of skirting) at the back with Sand and Cement when i flush off the builders opening?

Or.... Do i have to install the hearth to the Wall ? And somehow scribe the skirtings around the hearth profile, which will be a nightmare job and will probably wreck them.... i would find this a nightmare even if the skirtings wasnt installed, as the hearth has an overlapping lip and its champhered also...

Also Please confirm the follow is ok:

1. Using Sand and Cement to bed the hearth making sure its sealed all round.
2. Leave a 10mm gap under the hearth (still making sure its sealed) for the carpet.
3. Fix the back panel with Tile Adehsive, again making sure its sealed. Can i use Fire retardant PU Foam ? As the gap is quite large, what can i use to pack out, plaster board, cement board ?
4. Do i need to use fire cement around the builders opening where any plasterboard edges end?

Any help would be awesome.

Cheers

Dean

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back