Installing a new light fixture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am installing a new fixture I have live, neutral and earth on the light that's to go on the landing but have these three groups coming down, I'm know its blue to black then brown to red but were is the earth going, will it be the extra red on its own ?

Kind regards

Nath View media item 68809

Sponsored Links
No, the red on it's own will probably be your live to your light.
The blacks will be your Neutral.
By that picture it doesn't look like you have an earth cable.
Is it only red and black cables up there, no uninsulated singe copper wires or green & yellow?

You don't appear to have any earth connection there, so I'm afraid you cannot install your new light fitting.

You'll need to look for something that doesn't need an earth (probably plastic).

-edit- too slow...!

Hi I have been up in the attic and found that when we over boarded the ceiling it had trapped the earth wires so I have an earth now but still were does the red on its own go? Do I put it to brown also?

Thanks

Nath

Sponsored Links
No, the red on its own goes to your brown wire.

No connection is made to the one with three reds.

Hi I have been up in the attic and found that when we over boarded the ceiling it had trapped the earth wires
So you have separate ones, not twin & earth cable? What size are they? What route do they follow? Have you verified their continuity?

so I have an earth now
Possibly.

but still were does the red on its own go? Do I put it to brown also?
Where did it go before?
No, the red on it's own will probably be your live to your light.
?

Ok then thanks i have nothing but good advise from this forum hope this don't end now lol.

Many thanks nath

Hi I have been up in the attic and found that when we over boarded the ceiling it had trapped the earth wires
So you have separate ones, not twin & earth cable? What size are they? What route do they follow? Have you verified their continuity?

Was the old style earth two single strands going in to a connector so I put a sleaved them as they was bare. Can do no more as I have kno testers but all seems well thanks to slup.

Well in that case you are an idiot and a liability both to yourself and your family, you need to prove you have continuity on your earth and make sure it is correctly terminated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back