Installing a porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I would like some advice. Unfortunatly my husband is not a diy person.
I would like to have a porch. My son is willing to help me achieve this, bless him !
I am watching one on Ebay at the moment.

Do i need to dig any footings, and what about damp course?
Any advise would be much appreciated.

Regards Lorraine

Sponsored Links
You need foundations and a damp course.

In fact you will be better off building as an extension but without the reg's issue.

However, if you are simply using the area as a true porch and do not intend heating the space and will not have high expectations performance wise, then you could build it as a simple single brick structure.

Wisdom would suggest you incorporate the usual dpc, dpm, adequate foundations, pitched roof, weather tightness, storm drainage, trickle ventilation etc, but you are not obliged to install any heat loss measures.

You need foundations and a damp course.

In fact you will be better off building as an extension but without the reg's issue.

However, if you are simply using the area as a true porch and do not intend heating the space and will not have high expectations performance wise, then you could build it as a simple single brick structure.

Wisdom would suggest you incorporate the usual dpc, dpm, adequate foundations, pitched roof, weather tightness, storm drainage, trickle ventilation etc, but you are not obliged to install any heat loss measures.

Thanks.....i just want somewhere to put my timble dryer and to store shoes and somewhwere to put coats. so dont think i intend to put any heating.

Sponsored Links
lol @timble dryer,sounds like that muppet off that silly sitcom,ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm allo allo,thats the one.

im interested how you can buy a porch off ebay????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back