Raising a porch floor and installing new door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small bungalow with sliding patio doors opening to a next to useless porch which is about 20" x 5'. This porch leads up 1 stone step (on another level) to my heavy old, ill fitting timber door which is the only entrance. I want new sofas but dont think I can safely get them in past the fixed patio door, so thought I may as well change the lot.

I live alone so had to get a quote from a company to supply and fit the doors, but they were all concerned about the step up. They suggested they raise the level of the floor in the porch and take down the internal door/ frame and sidelight and fit new door frame and sidelight on where the sliding doors are now.

Is this something that could be done by myself or my son. I have some knowledge of DIY and building from my ex husband, who used to be very good at it.

The porch floor is stone or concrete, with brick walls. The house is wood floor and as I said there is a step between.
Could anyone tell me where to start.

Sponsored Links
Maybe a simple way would be to lay down a flat bed of sand over the flagstones then a layer of expanded polystyrene and top off with a layer of 18mm flooring.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I like simple. How much sand needs to go down, and is that just to make it level Would the flooring butt up to the step, as it will need to be laminated over to match the rest of the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back