Porch and Planning Permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at getting a porch built on the side of my house, and understand as long as its <3m floor area measured from the outside and less than 3m high, pp is not needed in general.

However here's my dilemma, the side of my house has 3 steps t go upto external door into the house, eg floor level in the house is approx 2ft above ground level on one side. the 2ft below on the outside is in effect the basement walls. I estimate that with the porch with a triangular roof will reach in excess of these 3 metres due to the 2ft I'll have to build for outside to bring the porch floor level with the inside of the house.

My question is is the 3m height restriction apply from floor level of the house, or down to the ground level outside. if it is the latter is there a way around it eg building up the side of the house with a 2ft raised path etc.

Sponsored Links
The general opinion round these 'ere parts is to go and have a word with the local planning office. Apparently, the are very friendly and helpful, just take some sketches and measurements with you and they will advice accordingly. Good luck.

Nothing like a nice new porch!
images

:LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back