Terminology help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section, but I couldn't see an obvious place for it.

What is the accepted term to describe the situation where your front door is at the top of a couple of steps? i.e my "ground floor" is about 500mm above the level of my drive / the road outside.

I want to replace the existing brick-built porch on the front of the house with a predominantly-glazed one, and one of the stipulations on the local council planning and building control website is that the porch can be no more than 3 metres above ground level.

What is considered "ground level" anyway? The level of the driveway (and most of the rest of the borough)? Or the bit adjoining my house?

Sponsored Links
I guess in this instance ground level is exactly what it is and bears no relevance to dpc or floor level as it is a planning issue.

So, i would say the ground abutting the perimeter of building. In your instance it will be the ground abutting the proposed porch.

the ground is ground level and your floor is ground floor.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back