installing a power shower!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening all,

Newbie here! I am looking to install a power shower and I was hoping somebody could give me some advice…

I Just moved into a house with a "standard vented gravity fed system" the bathroom (upstairs) has no shower and I know if I were to put in a cheapy shower mixer in place of the bath taps the pressure would be too low and trickle out - hence I want to install a power shower.

Now, to begin with I was planning on installing a surrey flange into the top of the hot water cylinder and have a new supply of hot water connected to a salamander pump on the floor. Then have the hot water supply go up into the loft-across-then down-into the bathroom

For the cold supply I was going to drill a fresh hole into the side of the cold water storage (which is located above the hot water cylinder in the loft) and route that down to the water pump-back up again-and along the same path as the new hot water supply pipe-into the bathroom.

IF that sounds correct(ish) I just have a few question regarding the above plan…

1)Can someone please confirm whether it is ok to connect plastic piping directly to the surrey flange on the hot water cylinder to the pump?
2)The surrey flange is 22mm - is it ok to just stick with 22mm piping from that point onwards or should I then reduce to 15mm?
3)Are plastic "push/speed fit" fittings suitable for this job?
4)Is it ok to feed both the hot and cold water supplies from the pump and up into the loft as opposed to under the floor boards? (the loft is a much much easier option for me!)
5)how important is it to select the right pump interms of pressure? i.e. 1.5 or 2bar

I realise getting a professional in would be an easier, quicker and worry free option but it wouldn’t be no where near as fun or interesting!!

So if anyone could educate me - offer any advice or info I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
1) That's technically fine, although it'll look like it was put in by a DIYer

2) Yes, use 22mm all the way, especially if your pump has 22mm inlets (it should have, a pump with 15mm inlets will probably be a bit weedy)

3) Yes, although copper would look much better

4) You can, but you might need a Universal (negative head) pump in order for it to be reliable

5) Very important, and it should also be matched to the max flow rate of your shower valve as the quoted pressure is the 'no flow, theoretical maximum pump pressure and drops off in proportion to the flow rate. Buy a Stuart Turner Monsoon pump.

Just to add, I would make sure that the tank connector for the pump from the cold water storage cistern is at a lower level than the feed pipe to the hot water cylinder. This will make sure that if you run out of water the shower will go cold rather than super-hot before it reduces to a trickle.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back