Installing a shower cubicle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi !

If you are American, then Happy Good Riddance Day to you !

I want to install a shower cubicle in the corner of the room, where both walls are plastered brick. Obviously(?) the plumbing has to go on one of these walls. How do I hide the pipework ? I really don't want to chase the brickwork.

I've heard of something called Marmox, and something else called Aquapanel - what are they, and should I use one, and if so, which - and how ?

The tray will be raised off the floor to give access to the trap, and space for the waste pipe. I shall screw down the floorboards first, the tray being supported on legs - will that be OK, or should I put in a sheet of ply?Should I divert the supply pipes into the space beneath in order to have accessible isolating valves ?

Would it be "better" to create a stud partition rather than a glass side, and put the piping & isolating valves in there ? If so, what construction should I use, and what cladding ?

Obviously(?) I propose to tile the walls.

So many questions... Sorry !

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Can I suggest a couple of things you could check out?

If you use a shower tray with tiling upstands, in conjunction with Multipanel boards, which overlap the upstands, it prevents leakage problems. As well as the boards, Multipanel can supply the corner and end trims to give a neat finish.

You can construct a stand-off wall to give space for the pipework.

Use a good quality sealant, like Dow-Corning, to finish the job.

You can also put some uPVC quadrant along the bottom to give a tidy finish.

Ooppss !

The ceiling slopes in one direction, so I shall have to put in some sort of a return wall, say 400 long, and then use an 800 x 1200 tray with an 800 x 800 door (side entry) and end panel.

Hmmm... I guess this return wall will have to rest on the tray ? Or do I put it down to floor level abutting the tray - in which case I shall have to have some sort of dogleg to fix the door jamb to... Help ! What would you do ?

Sponsored Links
1200 x 800 quadrant tray, with an 800 x 800 quadrant door set on top. But how to fill the gap ?

multiPanel is laminated 11mm WBP plywood and is used in place of tiled walls.
Does the ceiling slope up away from the corner?
It is always advisable to have accessible isolating valves on your plumbing, because you know they will be needed in the future.

multiPanel is laminated 11mm WBP plywood and is used in place of tiled walls.
Thanks for that URL.

Does the ceiling slope up away from the corner?

Yes, the wall / sloping ceiling interface runs along the wall where the 900 dimension of the tray goes, the 1200 dimension is along the other wall, so the infill will have a top edge part sloping, part flat.

It is always advisable to have accessible isolating valves on your plumbing, because you know they will be needed in the future.
Well, absolutely - but I just don't know where I can put them (click here).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back