Installing a shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon gents,

I have been attempting to install a power shower (well attempting is a strong word, I've bought the parts...)

One problem I have is that I bought the pump second-hand, so no instruction manual :(

So I now have an Elite Superboost twin 50 shower pump, and only an inkling of how best to fix it. My plan is a follows:

1. Wire the pump into the mains on the same fuse as the central heating pump, this could be a bad idea I guess as they might be running at the same time, I guess I could take a spur of another ring.

2. Take hw input from the top of my hot-water tank (shove a T junction into the existing outlet)

3. Take cw input from the pipe coming down from the f/e tank, here's where I think I might be making a mistake, since cold water in the house in general is from the mains I was going to take the cw feed from the same tank that supplies the hw tank. All the pipes in question are 22mm but I fear I might be trying to suck too much from the same source.

Does the above seem silly and potentially disastrous?

I must admit my ignorance too in the workings of the pump, will it be completely self-controlling or will I need some additional hardware?

Sponsored Links
1) take another spur down to it. It needs its own switched fuse outlet with 3 amp fuse.

2) Do not connect like with a T in this position, you risk sucking in air from the vent

3) F&E tank is the term for heating expansion tank in loft. Hope you mean cold storage tank for the hot water cylinder.

You really need to replace the fitting on the top of the cylinder with a surrey flange (has 2 outlets) and come off the side outlet for the hot to the pump.

I would also recommend fitting another tank connector to your cold storage tank and running a seperate cold supply to the pump as well.

Fit full bore isolating valves to each supply.

1) Will do

2) It's obvious once you say it, thanks

3) yeah, meant cold storage tank :)

Will try to get myself a surrey flange this week.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Might be an idea to get in touch with the pump MF (seen as you don't have a book) to see what sort of connection they recommend.

Depending on how old your HW cylinder is, you could damage the cylinder when trying to remove the existing connection and replacing with the flange.

If the MF OK's a tee from the cylider outlet then that's much easier to do IMO. Just make sure it's well below the tee for the expansion/vent pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back