Installing a Stone Resin Shower Tray on Wooden Floor Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning to fit a stone resin shower tray into an upstairs bathroom that has wooden floor boards. It needs to be as low as possible and not up on adjustable legs.

I plan to ensure that the existing boards are in sound condition and then lay a thick sheet of WBP plyboard (18mm or so) on top of this for strength. I plan to take time to get the board level and true by using either mortar or a floor tile adhesive between the floor boards and the ply. Once this is done, I plan to sit the tray on top of the ply, butted up to the wall which will be tiled afterwards. I shall make sure that the waste is all in place first and that I have cut access holes and so forth.

Does this sound like a sensible plan or should I be doing it differently?

James.

Sponsored Links
When I put mine down many years ago, the ply was just screwed down to the floorboards and the resin tray layed on a bed of mortar

Those resin trays all need even support. The lump of ply over the floorboards is good (stops differential movement) but you need the mortar between ply and tray- the idea is the mortar squidges up into all the little undulations and uniformly supports the thing.
If yours is the type that offers a leg kit (on the underside there'll be some clear load points) I suppose you could just use big mortar dots at those points but if you're going that far you might as well follow the Mfr instructions on the thing.

Sponsored Links
Lift the floor boards and check the joists - run supports(noggins) in between the joists (every 300mm) to provide lateral support to the floor boards to minimise flex in the boards. Double screw the boards down at every joists/support.

Ensure there is a rectangle/square of joists/noggins that's tracing the outline of the tray. Use packers to level out the ply, don't use an adhesive as the floorboards will move/expand/contract and can break up the adhesive over time. Screw the overlay down every 100mm.

Some use mortar some use adhesives to bed the tray. Personally I use a good quality silicone adhesive (not sealant) to bed the tray into as it hardens to a stiff rubber that allows it to absorb a little flex when the floor moves so minimises the pull on the wall/floor seals (silicone sealant).

Resurrecting this thread. Rather than using plywood underneath the shower tray, is there any good reason not to use cement board such as Hardie or no more ply?

Depends on the thickness I guess, 12mm would be the min I suggest. Just remember there is no sure way to really secure the cement board to the floorboards unless you use bespoke screws and countersink them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back