Installing a stone shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to pull out our old bathroom suite including a shower cubical and tray. The existing tray is acrylic and was installed on a riser kit. The replacement we've purchased is a low profile stone resin tray. The bathroom subfloor is chipboard tongue and grove panelling. I've not installed a resin trays before. Am i supposed to lay a bed of mortar/cement between the tray and subfloor or can the tray sit directly on the subfloor?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Wouldn't use a mortar base on a chipboard floor. By its very nature, chipboard flooring, even the moisture resistant types, will absorb water therefore using wet mortar could compromise the flooring. Other non water bedding materials could be used, if everything is level. If you use a covering sheet of 5mm WBP ply and then use a moist bedding mortar if sitting flat on the floor if leveling is needed. If recessing into the floor then tanking would be recommended.

What will the flooring type be? If tiling then you'd be covering the whole floor in at least 9mm WBP ply anyway.

Ah ok, yes we're putting new porcelain tiles down on the floor. I was planning to over board with wbp anyway so will use this as a base. So is the bedding mortar used only for levelling purposes or is it recommended even if the floor is already level?

Bedding mortar has been used as a support and leveling medium for a long time, with the introduction of new materials - stones resins etc - the support aspect of the material is less important.

Manufacturers instructions are the holy grail when it comes to warranties, that being said depending on the underside of the tray I have used other substances - e.g. Waterproof adhesives - as all it is being used for is holding the tray in place. Once down and fitted to the wall correctly, on a totally flat surface, there should be little sideways movement.

Sponsored Links
ok ill check with the instructions when the tray is delivered. many thanks for you help, its much appreciated ;)

flexi tile addey can be used. dont use ply on the floors, use cement board like hardi or no more ply. could use tile matting if the sub floor is solid enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back