Installing a wood burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again,
This forum has been an invaluable source of information for me. Again I was hoping that someone would be able to offer their advice here.
I want to install a wood burning stove. Since we’ve lived in the house we had the fire insert blocked up with logs and an electric fire sat in front of it.

The hole for the fire is currently 40 cms wide by 55 cms high. Inside that the exposed breeze block surround is considerably larger.

I had wondered about the best way to widen the surround to provide clearance for the wood burning stove. I had a look inside the fireplace and it appears that the top and side sections of the stone is held together by a few pieces of metal and glue (picture attached) And one is right where I was thinking of cutting the surround. I’m not sure how to proceed with this at all. Can anyone advise?
64B3749D-0721-44D4-9E58-1F270CDCEB7A.jpeg
49E6BD8E-6C25-4799-A045-3DF2DD4791B9.jpeg

Attachments

• 7A3D08E7-8170-4AFE-AD4E-917212FF7F3B.jpeg
    7A3D08E7-8170-4AFE-AD4E-917212FF7F3B.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 222
  • 76BB645A-21A1-49E0-9C77-F5C540D92020.jpeg
    76BB645A-21A1-49E0-9C77-F5C540D92020.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 227
Sponsored Links
Have you looked at stoves to get an idea of what size it would be as this would probably dictate things.

The existing glue would melt and I'm betting the metal would probably be affected too by the heat generated from a burner.

I wouldn't be surprised if you would have to remove the whole surround as even if you were to cut it to make room there would be next to nothing left on the sides, your best bet would probably be to remove it and then plaster the exposed brickwork.

Also, any idea what material the surround is as some are better than others at tolerating the heat generated.

Thanks for your reply Lee. The surround is a smooth stone. I’m not sure exactly what. It feels like concrete! The stove we wanted to put in was quite small. Probably 45cms wide by 50cms high. It’s probably the same size as the current cut out hole in the surround.

you'll definitely need to open the space up to be bigger, not just for ease of installation but for airflow around the stove (each stove manufacturer will have different requirements.

Sponsored Links
How big is the hearth? Could you have a woodburner that sits outside the opening?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back