what is a reasonable cost to install wood burning stove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I have just had a quote of nearly £4k to turn my existing gas fire installation into a wood burning fire. This including everything including a £1000 wood stove. We are going for a standard box with a stove in it and a wood (or concrete wood effect) mantle and matte granite hearth.

Does this sound reasonable? I was also told that a scaffold won't be needed.

I am getting another quote anyway....

Thanks. Nick

Sponsored Links
My stove cost £1400. That was an enamelled boiler model though.
Without the hydronics it only cost about another couple of hundred quid to do the install.
Of course having a suitable flue is a big bonus!

Thanks for the reply.
I am really shocked that it is costing so much. I can see the actual hardware costing £1500 including say an £800 stove, but £2500 to install!!!

Seems a bit pricey. We got various quotes to fit a Charwood C-Six (£1000 stove) with an external flue running 8 metres upwards and got a quote of £4000 with one of the bigger firms. Yours seems like far less work.

Sponsored Links
Ours was £900 to install and that included the flue liner, we supplied the stove, fitted the hearth and prepared the opening.

it all depends what's happening with the flu, the one for the gas fire will not be suitable, is the gas fire on a chimney or integral flu in modern house ?
does the flue have to pass through any floors ?

The quote should include a breakdown of the work, with a bill of materials, if not then ask for a breakdown/explanation, I'd get more quotes to compare, but don't reveal the price you have...

Hey guys.

We have got a company coming next week to fit our stove (Aga wenlock classic).
They are coming in to remove old gas stove and fireplace, line and insulate chimney with a multi fuel liner, install stove, put in slate hearth and oak beam mantle and make good the opening with fireproof board. All in all it is coming in at about 2.7k including stove.

I know that there is a lot of work, and compared to the other quote, it is a lot cheaper.

How does that sound??

Nick

Aga do 2 "classic" stoves, the Little Wenlock and Much Wenlock (which is bigger and more money)

sounds a lot more reasonable now, but I'd double check which stove you're getting

I found the costs varied massively. I paid £1800 two years ago to fit a Charnwood C-4 with multifuel kit, liner and granite hearth, plus patch the edge of the opening with plaster. I had quotes of £3000 too. I have a bungalow, which makes lining the chimney cheaper. As long as you shopped around, there is not much more you can do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back