Wood burning stove

Thank you for all your replies. I will go to the house tomorrow and will take more pictures. There is a plastic sheet around the stove, simply because the house is being refurbished and there is a lot of dust.
I have contacted the installer, who is sick at the moment. His reply was:

" Yes that doesn’t look right and unsure what’s causing that"
He installed the stove in less than 5 hours and I paid him 1.6k, and that's one thousand and six hundred pounds ( vat included). He didn't install air vents but they appear on the quote.
they appear on the quote. not the receipt? therefore you should have pulled him up on it before paying.
did the same person build the surround -brickwork etc?

Sponsored Links
Hello, I am still waiting for the installer to come back. I really wish to highlight that he only spent 5 hours at the property. I have now taken over the refurbishment of the house, however, as the invoice clearly shows, the installer was paid for installing air vents which he never did.
The plastic sheet is there to protect the stove from dust as the floorboards were taken up during the renovation.

Attachments

• IMG-20200424-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20200424-WA0010.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG-20200428-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20200428-WA0020.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG-20200422-WA0040__01__01.jpg
    IMG-20200422-WA0040__01__01.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 76
All you can do is to tackle him about it once he returns.....at the very least you need the register plate sorted and a collar fitted around the flue pipe where it goes through the plate....fireclay cement rarely lasts for ever in that position. You need some money off for the lack of vents.
Can I ask if a liner was fitted to your stove, and there's not an air inlet pipe at the bottom of the stove, which ducts to outside?
John :)

Patrizia

You should contact HETAS on https://www.hetas.co.uk/ and ask for their advice and maybe help. That installation could be dangerous, did the "installer" fit a carbon monoxide alarm and a label like this

upload_2020-5-12_9-10-32.png

HETAS is the national organisation working for consumer safety and the wider public interest in safe, efficient and environmentally responsible use of biomass and other solid fuels.

Sponsored Links
B., the installer, fitted the stove one year ago. He was supposed to come back the next day after spending 5 hours at the property for the installation. He never did. I have contacted him again but I haven't heard back from him yet.
A liner was fitted inside, but I cannot see an air inlet pipe at the bottom of the stove. Is that compulsory?
Yes, a carbon monoxide alarm was provided. B. also provided a HETAS label.
No, the installer, did not touch the surrounding brickwork.
Contacting HETAS will be my next step. I am patiently waiting for B. to get back to me because, after all, we are still in lockdown.
How much money do you reckon B. should refund for not fitting the air vents?

Thank you for all your replies.

Air inlet pipes are strictly part of the stove's design - they are not compulsory. They are good though because a 'normal' stove draws its combustion air from within the room.....with external venting it doesn't, which prevents draughts.
I'm pleased to hear the stove has a liner.....much easier to sweep that way. The debris coming down is just soot coming from between the liner and the existing flue....even after a good sweep it won't dislodge every bit.
I've no idea what sort of ventilation B was going to provide.....dead simple if you have suspended timber floors, or its a hole in the wall if not - again if the stove is 5kW or less no external venting is required.
I very much doubt you will see him again unfortunately - especially if he's been paid up.

if the stove is 5kW or less no external venting is required.

unless the room has a forced extraction system such as a kitchen extractor which could cause a draught down the flue releasing combustion products into the room. Each installation has to be individually designed with things like that taken into account

Hello,
I managed to get B. back. He has removed the old fire cement around the pipe and he has fixed the register plate.
Picture attached.
Does it look OK to you?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_094633.jpg
    IMG_20200522_094633.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 78
It looks like he's spread on some intumescent mastic and done a runner.....
Do you know if he's actually fixed the register plate in some way, or just filled the gap?
Looking at where the stove pipe goes through the register plate, I think he's stuffed some stove rope in there, where a collar would be so much neater.
Something like this:
https://www.glowing-embers.co.uk/Ch...oductid={productid}&campaigntype=&adposition=

He used a drill to fix the register plate. At least for now the plate seems to be OK.
Thank you for suggesting the use of the collar. If what B. did doesn't resolve the problem, that will be next on my list.
Many thanks,
Patrizia

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back