Wood stove door ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a wood burning stove with a glass door and my new part time employment is cleaning the glass door. Last year we burnt wood that had been dried for around two years and cleaning the glass every couple of days was no problem. The wood we have this year has been dried for a lot longer (same type of wood as last year) but it is leaving a burnt on residue on the glass. I have always used a specialized glass cleaner for wood burning stoves but this year I have to clean the glass every day and it's turning into a real job as it gets colder and we heat for longer each day. If I leave it for more than one day, I have to take to it with a blade scraper. Anyone out there know of any tricks or a better way to clean the door? Any advice much appreciated ...
Kev...

Sponsored Links
As a guess I'd imagine you are burning a more resinous wood. Either that or you are not getting sufficient draft in order for full combustion to take place. As said though just guesses.

I clean the glass door on our wood burner every morning when I make up the fire for the day - I quite enjoy it and it only takes a couple of minutes.

I put four sheets of newspaper on the hearth under the door to catch any debris. Wet and wring out a couple of sheets of kitchen roll and dip into the cold ash in the fire, use this to rub the inside of the door clean and then buff it up with another couple of pieces of kitchen roll. The wet kitchen roll goes in the bin, the dry pieces and the newspaper (scrunched up) then go into the base of the wood burner with a split log either side and a good covering of kindling. Job done, no mess and takes only a couple of minutes. Our woodburner is about four years old and the glass door is still as good as new.

We only burn hardwood logs from local suppliers and have been advised not to burn pine as it 'mucks up' the chimney liner.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Hi
If your glass is black every day your wood is likely to be too wet or unseasoned.

This can be dangerous as well as inconvenient because you will coat the inside of your flue with tar which is obvusley flammable

If you use dry wood there is really no moisture to create excessive tar

Best idea is t buy a moisture meter (£25) and only use wood with moisture content below 15%

Quick search comes up with this onehttp://bonfire.co.uk/products-page/accessories/wood-moisture-meter , there are loads more though...

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back