Wood burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
As I was cleaning my wood burning stove, which I had installed last year, I have noticed that the black panel above it is loose and ashes are coming down from the chimney.
Any feedback? Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20200422-WA0023.jpeg
    IMG-20200422-WA0023.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG-20200422-WA0028.jpeg
    IMG-20200422-WA0028.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG-20200422-WA0030.jpeg
    IMG-20200422-WA0030.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 340
Sponsored Links
That's the register plate - it's either rusted through or the sealant has died.

Get some stove grout stuff in there, then paint accordingly. If your chimney is lined, there shouldn't be any smoke coming through the hole

Nozzle

Thank you. I have used this stove only 5 or 6 times. Do you know why this may have happened so fast?

On second look - it appears as though that left side of the register plaet has dropped down, exposing the fibre or grout. Can you see any screws there to tighten that left side back up? It might be the fittings have pulled out of whatever they're screwed in to.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
It doesn’t look like the register plate is secured at the front at all :eek:
I’d rake that grout ( grot) out and see if the plate will lift up.
John :)

Yes, I can see some screws on each side of the register plate but nothing in the front.
I can lift the plate up and when it comes down again, ashes come out.
Thanks for your advice guys!

Attachments

• IMG-20200428-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20200428-WA0019.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 275
OP,
Remove the wrapping from the pipe.
When did the moisture first appear?

If you intend to DIY this then remove the screws you can see in the plate lip.
Then cut the silicon blobbed thats blobbed on.
Then lower the plate.
Then take a looking up pic & post it on here.

It doesn’t look like its ever been fixed at the front, Benny.......just the back and sides to some degree.
It also looks like 1.5mm steel sheet which is hardly self supporting - I make them from 3mm steel which wouldn’t flop like that.

it seems either the brickwork or marble aren’t level. leaving a large gap front left. tbh it doesn’t look like a professional install. the brickwork isn’t even level or tied in the corners , looks like a steel fire, not cast and the fire cement around the pipe to plate is poor too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all your replies. I will go to the house tomorrow and will take more pictures. There is a plastic sheet around the stove, simply because the house is being refurbished and there is a lot of dust.
I have contacted the installer, who is sick at the moment. His reply was:

" Yes that doesn’t look right and unsure what’s causing that"
He installed the stove in less than 5 hours and I paid him 1.6k, and that's one thousand and six hundred pounds ( vat included). He didn't install air vents but they appear on the quote.

Air vents are only required if the stove output is greater than 5kW......lees than that its reckoned there’s enough air available within the room.
A carbon monoxide detector is vital in each room where there is open combustion.
I imagine the chimney is lined?

check the spec of the stove yourself before he turns up . you wouldn’t need vents , if the stoves output is less than 5kw.
£1600 sounds ok if he supplied the fire , liner and fixtures and fittings .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back