Installing additional joists - old brickwork

mdj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need to install new first floor joists alongside the existing joists (not sistering, just leaving old joists in). At one end the joists will sit on an internal brick wall, as the old ones do.

However at the other end the old joists sit in pockets in the inner brick skin of the external wall (brick cavity wall). My hope was to use joist hangers. However its a 1930s, and from what I can see the brickwork is rough around the edges of the pockets. It would be best if the new joists can be installed alongside existing joists, but fixing joist hanger to brick close to the existing pockets is going to be dodgy.

My question is: can i fix a timber wall plate to the brickwork between each of the old joists, and fix joist hangers to these? This option would give more flexibility with fixing points into old brick (or would it not?). How should such wall plates be fixed to the brick?

Thanks for any advice

mdj

Sponsored Links
Why do you want to do this?

The hanging of joists from off-cuts fixed to the wall in the joist bays is a non starter.
Opening up a 40mm pocket is straightforward enough.

Are the in-situ joists completely open from above and below?

Why do you want to do this?

The hanging of joists from off-cuts fixed to the wall in the joist bays is a non starter.
Opening up a 40mm pocket is straightforward enough.

Are the in-situ joists completely open from above and below?

Thanks for the reply.

Work hasn't started yet so nothing is open just now beyond my exploratory hole in the ceiling, which is enough to see how the current joists sit in the external wall. The intention is to do all the work from below.

Are you saying that putting the new joists in wall pockets as well is the way to go?

Just for info, why is it a non starter?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back