Installing Amtico over ply board - Terrible idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I REALLY want amtico in the bedrooms and landing of my new house but floors aren't great. My builder says to do this will involve taking up floor boards in bedrooms and landing de-nail and replace with flat smooth 18mm ply and pva at a cost of between 1500 to £1800. He doesn't think amtico is a good option because there are no floor cavities and no insulation. He says noise levels will be bad downstairs and also won't help with keeping house warm. He advices that carpet is best option.

I feel torn as I value his professional opinion, and he will do the work if that is my decision but would it really be better to have carpet?

Sponsored Links
I'd go along with his suggestion of carpet. Getting out of bed on a cold winter morning to put bare feet on Amtico or any other type of solid flooring will certainly be a shock to the system!

Carpet in bedrooms for comfort every time. :)

Thanks kbdiy :) Have UH going down in certain areas but not bedroms or landing so barefoot comfort must be considered!

Plus the noise factor. I positively hate any form of hard flooring in living areas. Fine in kitchens and bathrooms and maybe hallways, but the noise reverberation in other living areas is just too much. Everyone I know who has had or moved into properties with hard floors in these areas is longing to replace with carpet.

Sponsored Links
Anyone who thinks Amtico is really cold on your feet in a bedroom floor doesn't have it or is guessing. It's not that cold and looks the business. I have Amtico on all the bedrooms here and its great. Easy to clean, looks amazing. Lasts forever if fitted right.
Not that much noise too, laminate is noisy but LVTs aren't. You can also have regupol down on the ply which stops any noise coming through.
Not just Amtico too, other choices are Polyflor camaro, distinctive, Karndean.

Hibs, why do you need 18mm plywood down, you can't fit Amtico direct to that anyway.
Do you have floorboards or chipboard down now?
A builder shouldn't be fitting Amtico too, its a good flooring contractor you want in or a good local Amtico retailer shop.

Anyone who thinks Amtico is really cold on your feet in a bedroom floor doesn't have it or is guessing. It's not that cold and looks the business. I have Amtico on all the bedrooms here and its great. Easy to clean, looks amazing. Lasts forever if fitted right.
Not that much noise too, laminate is noisy but LVTs aren't. You can also have regupol down on the ply which stops any noise coming through.
Not just Amtico too, other choices are Polyflor camaro, distinctive, Karndean.

Hibs, why do you need 18mm plywood down, you can't fit Amtico direct to that anyway.
Do you have floorboards or chipboard down now?
A builder shouldn't be fitting Amtico too, its a good flooring contractor you want in or a good local Amtico retailer shop.

...........plus one! - get a fitter in NOT a builder!!!!!!!!(no one goes to the gynaecologist when their teeth hurt!)
LVT is almost always fitted on 6mm ply - which can be installed over existing wooden sub-floor.......

I forgot my disclaimer ;) Builder is project manager and the amtico fitter that works for the firm who is laying the kitchen amtico would also be doing the additional work.

I would never go to a gynae for an eye test now would I :LOL:

There are creaky chipboard currently on the floor. So, those the amtico just go directly on top of the new ply or are there other processes necessary for a perfect floor?

Tbh the look I want is modern no fuss which carpet doesnt scream and amtico would have fulfilled but as a concession might treat myself to cosy lush carpet and heavyweight cloud 9 underlay.

Daz!!!!! I forgot to mention that this is ALL your fault as I fell into this idea due to the STUNNING images you uploaded in Jim's tread (Amtico Wenge).

The floor you laid was a vision and I want some of that wow in my house. I am trying to get my head round what I need to prep my floor so I can realistically install this as budget is not huge and reno costs has spiraled out of hand due to my particular taste :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back