Installing an Extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a bathroom refit I want to install a Zone 1 rated extractor fan. There is a convenient hole in the wall out to an existing airbrick. If I install the extractor fan into this exisiting hole how would I attach it to the inside of the airbrick to ensure that the condensation doesn't just drip down inside the cavity? Or would I have to knock out the airbrick (which would prove awkward (if not impossible!) as I'm on the first floor)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You would have to knock out the air brick and put a extractor air vent cover on the outside.

PS how would it be impossibe to fix an air vent cover on the outside ? can you not borrow ladders or hire any.

Some people blank off the internal hole with a piece of board and mount the fan on that.

I suppose you could run a 105mm duct through the existing hole in the wall to exhaust through the old airbrick, but you would have to pack round it with something impermeable (mortar or expanding foam perhaps) to prevent airflow and presssure coming back.

If you can get a handy assistant to keep guard outside you could break up the old airbrick and perhaps pull most of the fragments inside. Then you could perhaps fit the external cover on the duct and poke it out through the big hole before filling round it.

It will be much easier if someone can get at it from outside, though.

p.s. airbricks and other holes in cavity walls should always be lined anyway.

markie said:
how would it be impossibe to fix an air vent cover on the outside ? can you not borrow ladders or hire any.

2 words: Bad neighbours. I'd have to go onto my downstairs neighbours' 'half' of the back yard to put a ladder up to where the vent comes out and they won't let me(!).

Sponsored Links
NoviceBear said:
markie said:
how would it be impossibe to fix an air vent cover on the outside ? can you not borrow ladders or hire any.

2 words: Bad neighbours. I'd have to go onto my downstairs neighbours' 'half' of the back yard to put a ladder up to where the vent comes out and they won't let me(!).

Normally essential maintainance requires neighbours to allow reasonable access to do such maintainance. If you rent have a word with the land lord. If you own the flat then have a look at the terms of the lease.

If you suspect the air brick may be loose then you really should get a ladder to inspect it and remove and replace if broken. It may fall onto you neihhbour's garden if not checked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back