Air brick extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a bathroom extractor fan the bathroom has an existing vent via an outside airbrick if I remove the vent can I put my new 4inch ducting upto the old airbrick or will this restrict the airflow.
Would it be better to cut a hole in the airbrick and put the ducting through it with an outside backdraft shutter.

Sponsored Links
In my opinion it would be better to leave the existing airbrick alone, hire a 4 inch (approx - check measurement) core drill and make a new hole somewhere else.

Use a duct through the entire wall. Outside, use a 'gravity' grille - the type with the flaps which hang down.

Using existing airbricks in my experience causes nothing but bother.

Sponsored Links
It depends whether your house has been built with cavity or solid walls (as many English houses were)
If the alls are solid then completely remove the air brick and use the aperture for your fan ducting and outer draft flap, then make good the space between the duct and what remains of the old brick aperture.

It depends whether your house has been built with cavity or solid walls (as many English houses were)
If the alls are solid then completely remove the air brick and use the aperture for your fan ducting and outer draft flap, then make good the space between the duct and what remains of the old brick aperture.
But as has been said in previous posts do I need to keep the air brick vent to supply air into the room for the fan to work effectively

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back