Installing an induction hob with silicone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I picked up a second hand Miele Induction hob (900mm wide). The stone worktop is all cut and its currently sitting in place temporarily before use.

My builder has suggested that it should have come with clamps/brackets or similar to hold it in place which unfortunatly it did not. :(

He has said that he'll simply 'silicone' it in place but im wondering if this is a safe solution? If so, is there a specific silicon he should be considering?

I can imagine the required bracketry will cost a small fortune from Miele but I obviously want it to be safe. Im also wondering if the silicone method would void my warranty on the unit (it was bought from an authorised sellers showroom clearout so actually does have two years warranty on it)?

Any help would be greatlfully recieved. :D

Thanks,

Lee

Sponsored Links
It probably should have 2 strips with 2 clips on each, I would be pricing these up with a preferance to silicon. A better job.
JonB

As a thought Screwfix No.27007 looks very similar to the fitting on my ceramic hob, the male part being attached to the hob & the sprung part into the worktop. Hope this helps.
JonB

a roller catch? is that right?

mine are just peices of metal with a serrated edge..
clip into the hob and push it down.. the clips dig into the sides of the hole and hold it in place..

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember a similar post a while back and the OP asked the manufacturer about using silicone in place of a missing gasket. The manufacturers replied "under no circumstances use silicone because its strong adhesive properties will prevent the glass expanding slightly when hot and it may crack"

You should find four threaded holes in the base , if you can find screws to fit you should be able to make up a simple bracket from repair plates to secure hob similarily too how it was intended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back