**INSTALLING AN OUTSIDE POWER SOURCE**

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI everyone, first time user here. Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
I have asked if my landlord would mind me fitting a proper outside RCD protected power socket. He's fine with it although has specified that it must go through a fused spur with the flex going in the front, there is wiring under the stairs wired to the fuse box. Im am fine with this although was just wondering how I use the RCD protector supplied with the kit? Am I relying on the fused spur and fuse box or is there a fused spur available which will allow an RCD to plug in first, effectively giving 3 forms of fused protection?

Thanks for anyones advice. If im not completly happy with what i'v got to do I won't be doing it. So far, Im just a little confussed about this fused spur bit.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Step 1 inform LABC and pay £100 plus fee.

Step 2 fit a RCD FCU like

this

Step 3 fit a socket like
this

Step 4 inform LABC it is complete and let them inspect and issue the completion certificate.

I would think it would be cheaper to employ a registered electrician to do the work? There are variations of course like use of Ali-tube cable and RCD combined with socket but what ever method is used I would suggest cheaper not to DIY.

What kind of outdoor socket are you fitting? Is it one of these prewired project boxes from B&Q, or is it it proper waterproof RCD socket (such as a Masterseal).

Your post is a bit confusing. What is this wiring under the stairs doing? Do you need a fused spur to come off the ring? If so, you can use an RCD fused spur indoors and a conventional (non-RCD) waterproof socket outside. Edit: Exactly as the pictures above.

You don't necessarily need a fused spur. Also, you don't necessarily need an RCD socket if the consumer unit is RCD protected.

Perhaps you could clarify what you are trying to install and where.

Im planning on fitting one of these
807.jpg

Do I bypass the RCD provided as it will be going directly into a fused spur

Sponsored Links
Is this fused spur already fitted? Is it RCD protected?

Installing an outdoor socket is notifiable under part p of the buiding regs, it will probably work out cheaper to get an electrician to fit one.

Installing an outdoor socket is notifiable under part p of the buiding regs, it will probably work out cheaper to get an electrician to fit one.

And that would still be the case even if you were going to use the supplied RCD plug and plug it into a socket.

Approved Document P is somewhat interesting on this subject.

On one hand it says that installation of equipment attached to the outside wall is not notifiable.

BUT

It goes on to say that installation of a socket is notifiable because 'the socket outlet is an outdoor connector that could be connected to cables that cross the garden and requires RCD protection.

Now, if you overcome this objection by installing an RCD prior to the new socket (or having one in the CU that protects the circuit), you could quite reasonably argue that the socket is now not-notifiable in the same way that a security light is not notifiable.

What I think is the crucial factor in this is that you don't own the house, the landlord does. So give the above, you would really need ensure he was aware of the above and reobtain his permission to install the socket. If it was me I would not give it without LABC approval.

If it was my own house, I would go ahead and install the socket, as long as it had RCD protection.

And I am far from convinced that an electrician would be cheaper than paying the council their fee. As always get three quotes and make sure you check what they propose to do against the regulations as a fair few of them are creative when it comes to chargeable work.

An outdoor power installation comes under the scope of a special installation and installing one does not fall under any of the criteria for non-notification and is therefore notifiable.

The fact that it is supplied with a plug doesn't get you around the fact you are installing an outdoor power installation, nor does it get you out of notification.
If the kit was already pre-assembled then it could fall under the scope of one of the non-notifiable items, but this one isn't.

It goes on to say that installation of a socket is notifiable because 'the socket outlet is an outdoor connector that could be connected to cables that cross the garden...'.
Unlike, say, a socket installed in a window recess in a lounge or hallway or conservatory, or in a porch, or right next to the door in a shed or garage... :confused:

Now, if you overcome this objection by installing an RCD prior to the new socket (or having one in the CU that protects the circuit), you could quite reasonably argue that the socket is now not-notifiable in the same way that a security light is not notifiable.
That doesn't "overcome this objection" - the Approved Document says that it's notifiable because of how it could be used and because it requires RCD protection. Providing it with RCD protection does not make it non-notifiable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back