Installing an outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a new Barratts home and the system is all micro bore, i know this as the pipes to the cistern and hot and cold taps in the downstairs toilet are all smaller than your usual 15mm.

What i want to know is can you tap into the cold cistern feed to take a branch off to run to an outside tap. I know i will install a stop tap and double check valve on this pipe but wanted to know if this is feasible. its only cos the rising main is in the kitchen the other end of the house and its obviously to far to try and tap into that.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

darren

Sponsored Links
are the connections you are talking about braided flexi hoses? it is unusual to have domestic plumbing smaller than 15mm, cutting a T into the bathroom supply is ok if you are sure it is off the main supply, quickest way to check is turn off cold main stopcock open kitchen sink tap and flow will stop almost immediately, flush and check cistern to see if it has stopped as well, if not it is a stored supply from loft and not probably suitable for an outside tap

Sponsored Links
it is definitely copper.
The hot and cold taps in bathrooms upstairs and downstairs are bout 8/10mm. The cistern feed upstairs and downstairs are also 8/10mm.
The bath is 15/22mm and the kitchen sink is 15mm.

All the radiators are the same size pipe as well. there is no tank in the loft as i think i have a combi sealed boiler.

I'll try the stop cock at the mains and check the toilet cistern i'm enquiring about

many thanks Darren

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back