Installing an outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I would like to install an outside tap, taking the water supply from an internal pipe that is not the rising main. Can anyone tell me if this is ok? And if not, why does the supply need to come directly from the rising main?
:confused:
I’ve seen in a couple of places that say the supply should be taken from the rising main and although this site doesn’t say so in the How To... Installing an Outside Tap, it does say to cut through the rising main in the method part.

Any help/advice/info will be gratefully received... thanks in advance.
R1

Sponsored Links
Also, if, like us your main stopcock has seen better days, when you close your stopcock to replace taps/sinks etc. etc. you open your outside tap to take the "dribble" away.

Just thought I'd add that whilst fitting the tap put an internal isolator on the feed, and in winter you can drain the ext. tap to prevent pipe splits.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help, folks.

Another question or two - how "watertight" does an internal isolator need to be if it is just to cut off the supply to the outside tap to prevent pipes bursting in winter? Would a screw-operated mini stopcock be ok?

Also, does anyone know if a double-check valve can be used vertically? All the diagrams I've seen have it horizontally, but if I can put one in vertically I can use a hole in the wall that is already there instead of making a new one ;)

Cheers,
R1

An isolating valve is fine if you don't want to fit a brass stop tap. You can buy a bib tap that incorporates a double check valve.

New water regulations do not allow the use of check valves incorparated into the tap, a separate check valve must be fitted and it must be fitted internally, along with an isolating valve

And yes you can fit a check valve vertically

Where does it say that in the regs please Billy?

Thanks

I know this aint DIY - lol But I had one fitted by a plumber who advertised in the local paper (outside taps) for £35
He came of the pipe work under the kitchen sink and put a washing machine/penny valve on it so i can switch it off internally.
I'm not that keen on these kits you can buy(about £10) that use plastic 10mm pipes and screw into your existing pipe work.
Mines been done with proper 15mm copper tube and proper joints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back