Installing and lining up rads properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best strategy to install a designer rad (although this is applicable to all radiator types) ? By that I mean getting the brackets installed correctly so that the rad sits on all 4 brackets instead of the top two or bottom two, whilst also ensuring the pipes line up and fit into their respective fittings. Share your game plan. I installed a vertical rad yesterday and it was only sitting on the top two brackets and was a bit too low for the pipes - very annoying.

Sponsored Links
I have one in my house that is like a horizontal tower of pizza, IMOP either the installer was p*ssed or it's a clever devious method of combating sludge :D

Measure twice drill bracket holes once.
What tools do you use to measure and mark the wall ? a measuring tape is not enough with vertical rads and drawing lines onto tiles is a problem too esp if they smudge or arent visible.

Sponsored Links
I use a spirit level and suitable long piece of straight something as well. It helps if the pipes have a bit of give in them, I have one radiator where they are in a concrete floor and they are holding up the radiator (brackets to low), something on the long round tuit list!
Have you tried a felt tip on the tiles ? still smudges but easier to see.
Another problem I encountered is TRV bodies are often a different size to manual valves just to add to the fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back