Installing bathrrom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..

I'm trying to install a bathroom fan, connected to the light in the bathroom.

I have installed a 3 pole isolator switch outside the bathroom, but have 1 problem,

there are only 3 wires in the bathrrom lamp, neutral, switch live and earth, i can't find the LIVE ?.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
youll have to find where the live is. try the switch

Or it's a junction-box system...

switch2.jpg

Sponsored Links
you need to get up in the loft and follow the wire from the lamp. it will go to either the switch or a junction box and you should have all the wires you need there.

Hi

Think the live is in the light switch. Do I need to take the live wire from the switch to the bathroom lamp, then the triple switch and the fan, or can I take it from the light switch to the triple pole switch then the fan.

many thanks

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply.

these are the wires in the light switch.

1 brown in COM Live

1 brown in Neutral

2 blue in the earth block ?.

Thanks

The brown in COM is probably the permanent live, but there is no guarantee - it could be the one in L1 (not "neutral") - you should check with your multimeter.

You can take your permanent live from there, or from wherever that core originates.

If you can replace the cable running from the switch to the light, the neatest solution would be to replace it with a 3-core & earth cable:

Brown for the permanent live to the fan isolator
Black, sleeved brown, for the switched live to the light & fan isolator
Grey, sleeved blue, for the neutral to the light & fan isolator

Don't forget to maintain the continuity of the earths, even if the light and/or fan don't need to be earthed. If this is the case at either appliance, don't cut the earth back - sleeve it and make the end safe with a bit of choc-block.

hi

Ran a cable from COM live to the switch, then the fan, but fan doesn't turn on.

Think I will need to buy a multimeter.

I presume the mains will need to be on when I check for the current in the cables.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back