installing exterior PIR light to workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
apologies if this has been covered a million times, but I can't find the answer.

I have to install a sensor light for the security of my workshop which is at the end of my garden with a public access road at the rear.
On the instructions it tells me to fix it to a non-flammable surface as the lamp gets really hot. Problem is my workshop is all wood. The nearest brick surface is meters away and doesn't belong to me and I would need to bury the cable.
Would a ceramic tile between the surface and light be sufficient? or should I raise it off the surface entirely?
:confused: I want to get this sorted out as soon as possible as we have been warned about shed burglars working in our area and this is my workshop.

Sponsored Links
I would fit a LED one which would not get that hot although with a legal limit of 150W without planning permission they should not get that hot.

My problem where near to road or path is how to make them only light when some one is in your garden and not just walking past. Often only real way is for it to be on all night and not use a PIR. In which case LED.

The problem is of course although the light lets you see intruder it also lets the intruder see what you have and can work the reverse to intended. It's like putting up a sign "This shed has stuff worth stealing".

A light to help you walk down the garden is great but set it to look like a security measure is an advert. So avoid very bright lights they must look as if only there to help you see where you are walking.

:confused: I want to get this sorted out as soon as possible as we have been warned about shed burglars working in our area and this is my workshop.
As well as the light outside, have an alarm inside with a fogger, strobe light and 127dB Master Blaster.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back