Installing new bath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install a new bathtub and would like to ask for a few pointers first.

Below is a link to a picture of the underneath of the existing bath installation (click on the magnifying glass icon top right for a closer look).

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/mjorde/UntitledAlbum/photo?authkey=wTQuvbO2_Us#5053733171866780578

The cold tap (marked A) has been connected with a copper pipe, whereas the hot tap (marked b) has been connected with a flexible hose, would it be necessary to ensure that the flexible hose is used for both taps?

Thanks for your comments !

Sponsored Links
can stay as it is if you want, but may be easier on two flexis. I assume your hot water is supplied by a combi or unvented cylinder, otherwise the hot pipe should be 22mm.

Hi Dave,

Yes you are right the hot water is supplied by a combi boiler, pipe is 15mm.

mj007 said:
would it be necessary to ensure that the flexible hose is used for both taps?
It doesn't make the blindest bit of difference.

Personally, I detest flexibles and avoid them unless there's no alternative.

Sponsored Links
I agree rigid copper is far better than flexies, but with the exception of bath's!

Especially when changing bath's and the tap holes may not line up, there's nothing worse than trying to get a tap connector lined up when it's a few mil out and goes on a slight angle so leaks!

If it were me i'd get 2 flexies with push fit end's and atach them to be bath first, drop the bath in then you can easily connect to pipework in the awkward spot!

Sam

sambotc said:
I agree rigid copper is far better than flexies, but with the exception of bath's!

Especially when changing bath's and the tap holes may not line up, there's nothing worse than trying to get a tap connector lined up when it's a few mil out and goes on a slight angle so leaks!
Then why not do the obvious and use plastic pipe? :confused:

Whats the point in going from copper too plastic then use a seperate fitting (tap connector) when you can buy a flexi that doe's it in 1? Plus i'm not a fan of plastic either, can't beat good old copper IMO!

Luckily i'm young enough to still be in the job (not saying your not as i don't know your age!) to be changing all the failing rubber O ring's in push fit fitting's in 20 year's time! (which is the given life expectency from various manufacturer's)

Differance in opinion's of course, would be unfair to say either was the right or wrong way, after all they are both suitable mean's of doing the job!

sambotc said:
Whats the point in going from copper too plastic then use a seperate fitting (tap connector) when you can buy a flexi that doe's it in 1?
In a word, longevity.

Plus i'm not a fan of plastic either, can't beat good old copper IMO!
Er, except when connecting to a bath tap, apparently.

Luckily i'm young enough to still be in the job (not saying your not as i don't know your age!) to be changing all the failing rubber O ring's in push fit fitting's in 20 year's time! (which is the given life expectency from various manufacturer's)
Really? Have you read this:

How long do you think copper lasts? Or a bath? :idea:

Differance in opinion's of course, would be unfair to say either was the right or wrong way, after all they are both suitable mean's of doing the job!
I completely agree - the only wrong approach would be to reject any of the available option because of a prejudice. ;)

The reason i suggested using the flexies were because obviously the OP is not familiar with plumbing and this was would be easier for someone with limited knowledge/tools :D

As for the 50 years guarantee, nope hadn't seen that, but then in 20 years time are you going to have the receipt to show proof of purchase to claim a replacement, or even remember that it came with such ? :(
Plus i bet it will be invalid if you have used flux on any other joint's on system or additive's in heating system's? I would be interested to know though!?

I've seen copper still going strong 60+ years old so the proof is in the pudding, unfortunatly saying that it's of a much better quality than today's stuff. Personally i'd have a end feed fitting over a push fit any day of the week unless there was a specific reason for it ( tight space's in lofts/fire hazard, under bath's/ lack of flexibility) it's so ugly and bulky!

Cheers, Sam

sambotc said:
The reason i suggested using the flexies were because obviously the OP is not familiar with plumbing and this was would be easier for someone with limited knowledge/tools :D
Fair point Sam, and well made. :)

...in 20 years time are you going to have the receipt to show proof of purchase to claim a replacement, or even remember that it came with such ?
I certainly keep all my receipts, and I have the MIs (if they exist) for all the products I install.

Plus i bet it will be invalid if you have used flux on any other joint's on system or additive's in heating system's? I would be interested to know though!?
Since even copper can't resist excess flux left in the system, it's hardly a point scored against push-fit O rings.

I've seen copper still going strong 60+ years old so the proof is in the pudding, unfortunatly saying that it's of a much better quality than today's stuff. Personally i'd have a end feed fitting over a push fit any day of the week unless there was a specific reason for it ( tight space's in lofts/fire hazard, under bath's/ lack of flexibility) it's so ugly and bulky!
You were being quite rational until this bit, but now you're starting to sound like the die-hard 'plastic is for cowboys and DIYers' brigade. :confused:

I've seen copper fail within a couple of years, and have installed plastic and pushfit that has been trouble free for twenty years (and counting). Copper is rigid, which is useful when you need it to be, but plastic doesn't feature in nearly so many of those "unclipped clattering pipe" complaints. The plastic vs. copper debate has raged many times on the forum, and it's uncanny how the plastic opponents dissolve away when they're asked for real-life examples of fittings and pipe failing, especially when it transpires clear that the fault was caused at the time of installation.

Personally, and professionally, I prefer whatever makes the job quicker to complete and the installation longer to fail.

In any case, I never suggested using push-fit on the bath supply, only plastic pipe, which isn't bulky. ;)

Not at all trying to accuse anyone who use's plastic as being a plastic DIY'er although many DIYer's use it for the obvious reason that it's a lot easier to fit than soldering. I certainly wasn't trying to score more point's for the copper team either, mearly stating some reason's for me using copper! :) Also i fit warmfront grant pack's day in day out and plastic pipe is not allowed on these which may make me bias. Again both are perfectly acceptable mean's of doing the same job, in differant ways. I have used hep20 on many occasion's but is not my preferred material.

My personal opinion doe's not affect your's and vice versa. Also i hope you did not take what i was saying in a negative way towards the use of plastic, it's often very hard to express how you are talking to someone via text and can come across in a completly differant context.

This forum is already full of supposed 'know it all's' who cannot understand that people have differing opinion's, and i don't want to be seen as one of them! :LOL:

Cheers, Sam

No worries. I overstepped the mark in suggesting that you were part of a syndrome. Apologies.

Also i hope you did not take what i was saying in a negative way towards the use of plastic, it's often very hard to express how you are talking to someone via text and can come across in a completly differant context.

This forum is already full of supposed 'know it all's' who cannot understand that people have differing opinion's, and i don't want to be seen as one of them! :LOL:
I quite agree, and I didn't take anything you said as negative.

All the best Sam. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back